Volume 31, Issue #09 – September 2021
Scion Index – Click and Go!
You can now print or download Member Articles to your computer. Just click the Blue Button beneath the article you wish to save, and a pdf version of the article will pop up on your screen. From there, you can print or download using the indicators at the top right of your screen.
Please check out the many of FREE classes and webinars listed in this issue.
- This Month’s Presentation– My Extension
- Water Wise Words by Anna Vogler
- Superstar Spotlight – Artic Frost Satsuma Fruit
- In the Garden Articles
- September In The Garden by Bill Swantner
- Growing Carrots and Beets in San Antonio by Karen Gardner
- Growing Onions in San Antonio by Karen Gardner
- Texas Speaks Survey
- Gardening Education
- Agrilife Today
- Aggie Horticulture Facebook Events
- Earth-Kind Webinar Series
- WOAI 1200 AM – Lawn and Garden Show
- Ask a Master Gardener Hotline
- Can You Help? – Join Amazon Smile
- BCMG Facebook
- Member News
- Certified BCMG Members for 2021
- BCMG Scholarship Award 2021
- Master Gardener of the Fall Season – Sandra Hernandez
BCMG offices are closed to Drop-ins, so you must have an appointment to go in. Call before going over.
Agrilife Extension offices are open for business but will be closed on Labor Day
All monthly meetings for 2021 will be on-line webinars held on Zoom, until further notice.
Monthly meeting presentations are always free and open to the public.
The first time you use Zoom, allow a few minutes extra to get set up. Zoom can be used free on home PCs, Macs and on smartphones.
Pre-Registration on Zoom is required for each webinar. (Equivalent to the “Sign-in sheet”). Register weeks ahead of time or even just a few minutes before the webinar and the link will be sent to you in email .
Texas Speaks Survey
We need your help!
Texas Speaks is an online survey conducted by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service with the purpose of listening to Texas citizens as they identify the strengths and needs of their communities.
Link to survey can be found here:
- Takes approximately 10 minutes or less
- This survey is part of several efforts to identify and understand the issues facing Texas communities
- Identifying relevant issues is fundamental to the program development model of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
- Includes an open feedback section for areas not listed within the survey
- Includes an opportunity to elect to receive contact by the agency
Gardening Education Opportunities
September 8 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. $20
San Antonio Botanical Garden, 555 Funston Place, San Antonio, TX 78209.
Growing Succulents in Containers with Stephanie Jones, Bexar County Master Gardener. Growing succulents in containers can be easy with the right amount of care. Join Stephanie as she shares information about the glories of succulents. She will cover topics including why succulents are so forgiving, their root system, habitats, soil needs, containers, recommended plants, propagation techniques, water, and care requirements. She will also discuss common problems and make recommendations on how to remedy them. Each registrant will receive a succulent.
September 10 @ 9:00 am and September 11 @ 9:00 am. FREE
- Basic Plant Propagation – 9:00 – 10:00 AM
- Growing A Fall and Winter Family Vegetable Garden – 10:30 – 11:30 AM
- Thirty Bugs Every Gardener Should Know – 12:00 – 1:00 PM
- To Cut or Not to Cut – Pruning Ornamental and Shade Trees – 9:00 – 10:00 AM
- Keep Calm and Compost On – 10:30 – 11:30 AM
- Native Perennial Plants for Your Landscape – 12-1 PM
September 10 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm. FREE
3355 Cherry Ridge, Ste. 208, San Antonio, TX 78230
Lunch & Learn with a Bexar County Master Gardener. Bring your favorite lunch and learn from one of our Bexar County Master Gardeners. We will be meeting from Noon to 1:00 PM on the second Friday of each month. These lunch seminars are free. However, because of COVID restrictions, reservations are required and must be made in advance because seating is limited. Please check each event’s date for registration information. Plants That Thrive in Bexar County with Bill Swantner, BCMG.
September 12. $150
|Recurring Event (See all)
Leading researchers. Industry experts. Master Gardeners from around the world. Six days of virtual networking, workshops, and education brought to you by the Virginia Extension Master Gardener program. Join us virtually September 12-17, 2021. REGISTRATION OPENS APRIL 5, 2021.
September 14 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. $20
San Antonio Botanical Garden, 555 Funston Place, San Antonio, TX 78209.
30 Bugs Every Gardener Should Know with Molly Keck, Entomologist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension. Not every insect in your garden is a villain. Learn how to recognize beneficial and non-beneficial bugs and insects in your landscape. Entomologist Molly Keck will introduce you to the most common insects in San Antonio, Texas, and integrated pest management solutions to safely manage their populations in your garden.
September 15 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Guadalupe County AgriLife Extension, 210 East Live Oak, Seguin, TX 78155.
Guadalupe County Master Gardeners Lunch & Learn Program Topic: Butterfly Gardening Speaker: Keith Muschalek, Guadalupe County Master Gardener
September 16 @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm FREE
Hosted by Bexar County Master Gardeners. Topic: My Extension – What is Extension? How can Extension better serve you? How can you better serve the people of Texas through Extension? Speaker: Nelda Speller, Director, AgriLife Extension, Bexar County. Nelda is the County Extension Director for Texas A&M AgriLife Extension in Bexar County.
September 18 @ 10:00 am – 11:30 am FREE
Milberger’s Landscaping & Nursery, 3920 North Loop 1604, San Antonio, TX 78247.
Preparing Your Fall and Winter Vegetable Garden – Part II Presented by David Rodriguez, Horticulturist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. South Texas offers vegetable gardeners two great growing seasons every year. Fall’s milder temperatures bring out the best flavors in home vegetable gardens. Insects and disease are less bothersome. And we can grow warm- and cool-season crops. David will answer your specific questions about your gardening issues. Bring a notebook.
September 21 @ 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm $15
❖ Winter Supplementation – Understanding my options and how to use them? by Dr. Jason Banta, Extension Beef Cattle Specialist – Overton
❖ Stockpiling Grass versus Feeding Hay by Vanessa Corriher-Olson, Extension Forage Specialist – Overton
Frequently check the BCMG Calendar, as that is where all the new, upcoming programs will be posted. Click Here
Past webinars are posted on YouTube for your viewing (or reviewing) pleasure! Check often for new postings! Click here for the list.
- What’s Making Holes in my Lawn?!
- Spring Lawn Management
- Growing a Home Fruit Orchard with David Rodriguez
- Gardening and Landscape Q&A Chat with David Rodriguez
- Fly Management
- Pantry Pests
- Dragonflies of Texas
- Arachnids of Texas
- Where Do Insects Go When It Rains? by Molly Keck
- 12 Months of Vegetable Gardening by David Rodriguez
- Pests of Tomatoes by Molly Keck
- 12 Months of Pollen and Nectar Producing Plants for Pollinators
Just a few of them are:
- Fall Blooming Flowers and Biennials Planted in Fall
- Growing Muscadine Grapes in Texas
- Toys (tools) For Gardening
- Compost versus Mulch
- Planting Strawberries
- Harvesting Pecans
- Raised Garden Beds, Location, Soil Mixtures and more!
- Home Fruit Production – Tips for Success!
- Back to Index
Get the full list of FREE classes here
- Landscape Water Conservation
- Low-Volume Irrigation
- Irrigation System Auditing
- Safe Use and Handling of Pesticides
- Safe Use and Handling of Fertilizers
- Designing an Earth–Kind® Landscape
- Landscaping for Energy Conservation
- Creating Native Habitat
- Earth–Kind® Roses
- Integrated Pest Management
Call in to Live Radio on Saturday mornings, with your gardening questions for David.
Call in: 210-737-1200 or 1-800-383-9624 on Saturdays from 7 am to 10pm
Or just listen to the show, and learn from everyone else’s questions!
WOAI 1200 AM – Lawn and Garden Show
Host: David Rodriguez, Bexar County AgriLife Extension Horticulturist.
Past shows are archived here, for easy listening on your computer, tablet or phone, anytime! Listen on your phone while you drive!
Ask a Master Gardener
Master Gardeners are available to help you with your gardening questions. We provide unbiased, research-based, locally relevant gardening information. Free service. You can reach us:
By phone: 210-631-0400 (Ask to speak to a Master Gardener)
Mon-Fri 9 am – Noon, 1-4 pm (Closed on county holidays)
Even during Covid-19 precautions, the phones and the Hotline are being operated from home telephones; hotline calls are being directed by AgriLife Extension receptionist Nick Vasquez.
Congratulations to the 34 MGs who earned their certification pin through August 17. These MGs have completed at least 6 hours of Continuing Education, attended at least 2 BCMG monthly meetings and logged in at least 12 volunteer hours to earn their 2022 certification.
Ling Yin Liu
Susan Noonan Brigid Oman
Ann Marie Pease
*Class 63 Graduate